Saturday, January 21, 2012

For Alexa

I was 3 1/2 when my little sister, Alexa was born. Obviously, I don't remember life without her. I hear that when she was little, I pretty much treated her like my own baby. I told her what to do up until she was old enough to figure out that she didn't have to answer to me.
I dont remember a whole lot about my childhood, but every single memory has Alexa in it.
I remember playing in our "neighborhood." It was actually a pretty bad part of town and everyone who lived around us was somehow messed up. But those messed up people had kids, and we played with them daily. Tangles, torn clothes, and all.
I remember being jealous of Alexa because she got my cousins' hand me downs and me, being the oldest cousin, never could.
I remember Alexa being MUCH better than me in gymnastics. I was so proud she was my sister.
I remember her always being so happy. Crooked teeth and all. When she realized she had crooked teeth, she started smiling with her mouth closed. Hahaha :-)
I remember giving her hints on what to do when getting a spanking. I told her to first, run. If caught, scream bloody murder the first time hit so they would think she didn't need any more. Genius, I know. I always felt the need to protect her. Always.
Skip to high school. She was BEAUTIFUL. Cheerleader, Homecoming court, you name it. Again, I was SO proud to call her my sister. Not because of those things, but because she was even more beautiful on the inside than she was on the outside.
I was always a few steps ahead of her, obviously, because I was 4 grade years older. I did college by myself for 4 years and then she was there with me. By this time, she was my best friend. We went through things together that only sisters can share. The death of our mamaw, our parents divorce, not having a home to go home to for a while, growing up. Because of my problems in college, I didn't do my job of protecting her like I should have. I look back now and think I could have been such a better influence on her than I was. During this time, she protected me more than I protected her. Only a sister would have done that. And she did. And I will forever be grateful.
She is now so far away and I miss her so much. There is a huge place in my heart for my sister with love overflowing. She is the only person that I can truly be my complete self around (good or bad) because I know that she will never leave me. She doesn't judge. She listens. She laughs. She understands. She is my sister.
Happy Birthday, Alexa.
I love you,
Abby

3 comments:

  1. ABBY!!!! What an accurate and moving tribute! I have loved you since I met you, but I love the woman you have become, and how free you are in sharing who you are and how you feel. . Alexa is the bomb, and this made me cry!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ALEXA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bond of sisters...so, so special. I love your little sister, too :)

    ReplyDelete